Thursday, July 20, 2006

First week done!

Look! It's me! And if you look closely, you can see the Club Orange in my hands (with real bits of orange!) and the ferry in the background. This was taken (by Voite) in Ballycastle when we walked to town to explore. During our first visit, we all kinda fell in love with Club Orange. This was my first Club Orange since my return. I was hoping to have one on the plane, but they had Fanta instead. Check out the gorgeous weather and the sunburn on my arms. That's right. Sunburn in Ireland. I didn't even bring suncream with me.

Some things are surprisingly similar here, and some things are remarkably different. Like sinks. Some are normal-sized, but look at this one! Tiny, and the water temperatures are ALWAYS separate.

Here's some scary news for my mother (who's already worried about me returning to the states). I have been told that the long-term volunteers have a tendency to couple off while they are here. During one year, four couples met at Corrymeela and ended up getting married! Crazy! Let it be known that Marian is not here to meet her future husband. Done.

Today the groups left. We've cleaned the house and evaluated our week. Now we're off until Saturday. We'll make ourselves dinner tonight, have a pint or two at the pub, and get some good sleep.

I'm having a great time. I'm learning a lot about Irish culture, how it's different from my American upbringing, and how I can adjust to fit in but still be true to myself. I have completely exhausted myself, but I feel good. Comment, email...I'd love to hear from you! Email is mlhoman02@yahoo.com for now.

3 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, July 20, 2006, Blogger robyn said...

marion! I'm so glad your keeping a blog of your ireland trip. I will check in often, since hopefully I will be joining you for a bit next summer, and I need to have some idea of what to expect! Delaware just isn't the same without you, but I'm glad we got to hang out before you left. Happy to hear your having such a good time so far.
-robyn

 
At 7:37 PM, July 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Marian, don't lie to everyone about the very small sinks... we all know that your left hand is a little larger than average... Just kidding, that really is funny. I'm glad things are going well, and I'm going to keep checking up on you:)
Love, Amy

 
At 2:43 PM, July 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marian! I just looked at your blog for the first time today and realized I was a dope not to read it before-you have interesting stuff to say. Your work sounds amazing, and I am generally jealous. The small sinks made me laugh. I think my hands would be too big to fit.
Love you!

Amanda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home