Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy days!

These are happy times here in Ballycastle and here's why:

1. All of the volunteers are back under one roof! For a while, three of our volunteers had to be off-site for two weeks due to very unfortunate circumstances. Fortunately, those circumstances are being worked on, and they are all back now.

2. I worked with a great group of students this past week who made me laugh so much! They were lots of fun to work with, and their programme was really interesting to participate in. They went to the cinema, the shopping mall, and did fun things like archery and rock climbing. And then of course there was the disco (dance) on the last night they were here. Some of the kids asked me and the other volunteer, Jason, if we were getting dressed up, cause they were all getting dressed up to the nines, of course. We hadn’t really thought about it, and didn’t have fancy clothes to dress up in, anyways. So I suggested that we raid the arts and crafts dress-up boxes and made some funny costumes. We ended up looking very nice if I do say so myself. Wouldn’t you agree?

3. I led an amazing worship on Tuesday morning. It was a worship based on a book called Letters for Peace published by the Royal Mail. It contains letters advocating for peace written by young people from all over the UK. I chose three to be read out during the worship: one from an elderly woman to the young lad in the red jersey who assaulted and robbed her, one from a boy to a pesky mosquito, and one from a young man to God asking who’s in charge of this chaotic and cruel world. After the letters were read out, I passed out paper and pens for all those there to write their own letters for peace.
As I was setting up for worship, I remembered that there was a group of high-functioning mentally disabled adults in the village. I didn’t know if they would attend worship, but I figured that they would understand the concepts of letter writing and peace, so the worship plan should be suitable. It ended up being far more than suitable. It was perfect. About 10 people from the village group came to worship, and they loved it. They wrote and drew such moving pieces. A few people volunteered to share what they had written or drawn, and we were all so humbled. The leaders of the village group were very grateful that the worship was accessible for their participants, and the staff and volunteers from the centre were grateful to have witnessed such a moving worship. That sure started my week off on the right foot!

4. My parents came to visit! Their visit was unfortunately shortened by a cancelled flight, but we still had a good time with the time we had. And they brought me treats! Peanut butter M&Ms, Reeses, and macaroni and cheese! That was pretty exciting, too. Many people have commented that this place isn’t something you can accurately describe to someone who hasn’t been here and experienced the place, so hopefully my parents have a better understanding of what I do here and why I do it. If nothing else, they’ll be better equipped to answer people’s questions back home!

5. I made a new friend in Belfast who I really enjoy spending time with! It’s nice having another place to go to get away from work and whatever drama may be here in Ballycastle, and I’m very grateful.

6. I’m working in the kitchen this weekend, which I always enjoy. So far, I’ve learned how to make scones and pavlova, a dessert named after a famous Russian ballerina. I’m happy to learn these things for selfish reasons, and also so that I can be a greater help in the kitchen, especially since the kitchen is short-staffed these days.

7. It’s St. Patrick’s Day, and I’m in Northern Ireland! Folks back home have been asking what it will be like to celebrate St. Paddy’s Day in Ireland, and I’m about to find out! In a short while, I’ll be heading out to do some field research. I’ll report back when I can!

8. Spring is in the air! Days are getting longer, sometimes warmer, and the daffodils are up! Better weather MUST be in the future which means more opportunities for walks to the beach and to town.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, March 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dearest Marian,
I love reading your blog, hearing all about what you've been up to. It sounds like you are having a super duper time. I spent St. Paddy's w/ the boys and we watched the Ireland video. Jason and I cannot wait to come visit!! Things here at OWU have been pretty crazy... but I supposed thats what junior year is for. Anyway... make good choices!
Love,
Adrienne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home