Thursday, August 10, 2006

Youth Group

This week I worked directly with a visiting group from part of Belfast. I worked with an amazing group of 14 young teenagers, and we had a blast. We went banana boating (which involves an inflatable banana pulled behind a speedboat and lots of falling off), played capture the flag, and did a couple 'deeper' activities. I worked with Ronan and Alan, both of Northern Ireland, who were also amazing, and all three of us were the luckiest people on site.
The rest of the volunteers worked with a family group which consisted of approximately 100 people (we still aren't sure how many there were). There is an entire sheet of paper--front and back--listing all of the things that went wrong with this group. Fire alarms, fighting, sick children, swearing--you name it, it happened. This group was the most challenging that I have seen here at Corrymeela, and several who have been here much longer than I echo that sentiment. But the most amazing thing is, no one was sorry to have worked with them. Over and over I heard that, yeah, they were tough, but that all in all the kids were grand. Sure the parents were difficult at times, didn't always get along, and fed the kids way too many sweets, but they love their kids and are doing the best they can. Most importantly, volunteers and staff reiterated that this group is just the type of group that needs to come to Corrymeela, and as challenging as they were, they would rather work with this kind of group than a well-behaved, in bed by 11pm kind of group.
I certainly did not regret working with my youth group, cause my kids rocked, but I was happy that I had an occasion or two to chat with a couple of kids from the family group on my day off from my group. And the more I think about it, the more I realize that those volunteers were right. The kids ARE alright. I had a wee chat with a boy about laptops and his niece who walked on his toy laptop and broke it. He was the sweetest little boy, but I know he caused trouble throughout the week. It's amazing the dichotomy these kids are capable of. Then again, I suppose we all are.
One issue that cropped up this week more than others was the relative level of sexism compared to the States. It's hard to pinpoint sometimes, and some of it may seem petty, but I felt very uncomfortable at times. Part of me wants to stand up for myself and confront it, but another part of me hesitates at challenging what I feel is a cultural difference. I can't expect all of the men in Northern Ireland to treat me differently because I'm American. I'm trying to work within and admist the culture of Northern Ireland, not against it. I suppose I'll have to choose my battles carefully.

2 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, August 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today at church, some guy was leading a session on the spirituality of U2. And I thought to myself, "Well, that sounds quite familar, perhaps I will attend that." So I printed some pics from Ireland, and of Steve Stockman of course. The guy leading it was using none other but Steve's book. Imagine that. I said, I've had lunch with that guy, and hes basically the sweetest person ever. (besides Marian.) And they stood and cheered and said "Adrienne your the best!" (ok maybe not) But it was a very interesting session. (nothing I didnt already know tho)
LOVE,
Scovy

 
At 4:25 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Lisa Ho said...

Way to go Scovy!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home