Friday, September 29, 2006

"Everyone's story is a love story"

This post's title is a quote from a guy named Damien who came to Corrymeela and did a journaling workshop with us. He's a local playwright who seriously makes his living off his writing, which is pretty awesome. His daughter volunteered here a little over the summer, too. But anyways, back to the point of using the quote--I love it here.
A top ten list of the things I love about Northern Ireland.
1. The accent. Although sometimes hard to understand, always interesting to listen to.
2. The sea. Any day I want I can go for a walk on the beach. Totally awesome.
3. The attitude. Everyone's so laid back here. No worries.
4. Lack of barriers. My boss is a normal person that I could go to the pub with. At first this was weird for me, but now I really like it. It makes everyone equal with no power struggles.
5. Guinness. It's just not the same in the states.
6. Jameson. See above.
7. More public transportation. Thanks to really strict and expensive hoops to jump through to legally drive a car, tons of people just don't! Which is nice for me!
8. The immense satisfaction I get from my work. It nice to feel like you've making a difference, however small.
9. The fabulous views everywhere you go. See very early posts when I had a digital camera.
10. The people I work with. Always interesting, always something to learn.

I will only dwell on the good today, as I have had a pretty amazing day. The last day of my week off, I ate Alpen for breakfast, walked to town to go swimming, got an ice cream, walked along the beach to eat my ice cream, sat watching the waves crash into the shore, finished walking back to Corrymeela, and ate lunch. Totally relaxing and refreshing. Everything that a week off should be.

3 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, September 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Marian,
I highly enjoy hearing all about what you've been up. It almost inspires me to perhaps one day follow in your footsteps... Im seriously thinking of perhaps volunteering there this summer for perhaps a week or so. It reminds me of camp, except just the good things I liked about camp. I hope you received my email, and write back! I will keep the stories rolling if you will... mmmwhahaaa... anyway, have a lovely day, and "Think of me... think of me FONDLY"
Love,
Skoveronski... (I just wanted to see what it would look like w/ a K. ... I kinda like it, it looks more ethnic)

 
At 5:08 PM, September 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOH... I forgot... The title of your blog today reminds me of a musical. (I know... thats crazy right? that something would remind me of a song...) The musical is Aida, and the song is.. well, "Every story is a love story) Its the opening song of the musical.. a romeo & juliet tale of an egyptian prince and a nubian slave (but secretly a princess). Anyway... here are the lyrics... make up a tune and sing them to yourself. Oh and elton john wrote the music... so that makes it sweeter. Oh and it was based on the Opera. OHHH.. i just wanted to say Oh one more time...

Every story, tale or memoir
Every saga or romance
Whether true or fabricated
Whether planned or happenstance

Whether sweeping through the ages
Casting centuries aside
Or a hurried brief recital
Just a thirty-minute ride

Whether bright or melancholy
Rough and ready, finely spun
Whether with a thousand players
Or a lonely cast of one

Every story, new or ancient
Bagatelle or work of art
All are tales of human failing
All are tales of love at heart

 
At 6:00 PM, October 03, 2006, Blogger Lisa Ho said...

the team is picked... can't say much more than that until after Friday when we announce them officially. I received our booking info from Corrymeela. It's really happenning- again!

You make me miss that place more than I thought possible.

Say "hi" to everyone and everything for me ("hi, Fairhead", "hi, beach", "hi, crazy fountain in BC"...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home