Saturday, October 21, 2006

Fifth try?

WELL. The internet and my laptop have finally kissed and made up and is letting me upload pictures and use blogger! Yay! That's what peace and reconciliation is all about. Be it between Protestants and Catholics, Palestinians and Israelis, or Lappy and the internet (yes, my laptop is named Lappy. let's give a shout out to all those homestarrunner fans).

I can't post pictures of other people without their permission, and I can't give too many details about the groups I work with, so you're stuck with pictures of me and more general stories. Sorry. This picture is of me (obviously) playing on some rocks on the north coast. I forget the exact location and name of the place, but it was fun! Our whole volunteer team (except one Salvadorian who came late) had a day out to bond over the Giant's Causeway and the Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge. This was one stop in a tiny less-than-a-village with a tiny port and tons of rocks to climb on. We have our picnic lounch in pretty much the same place.

Since then, our team has become much closer. We were all so polite to each other in the beginning. Now we're picking on each other and yelling at each other for not washing our dishes. Ok, we aren't yelling yet, but we are reminding forcefully.

The work is becoming easier as it becomes more familiar. I'm learning how things work, the Northern Irish lingo, and how important what we do is. It's the little things like knowing exactly what you need to take from the kitchen to the other residential units that make things move so much more smoothly. Before, we'd forget so many things that we'd spend way too much time and energy going back and forth. We are much more streamlined now. Practice makes perfect in nearly everything, including being a good volunteer.

Now comes the interactive part of this post. I will not be attending graduate school next year for a couple reasons (way too complicated), so I am researching different options for what I want to do come July 2007, other than be in weddings. So...I'm open to suggestions! What do you think I should do? Leave a comment and tell me!

2 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Lisa Ho said...

Join Erika at Sojourners for a year! Ok, that's my $.02. And, I think the port might be Ballintoy? Luong and I stoped there. Little coffee shop on the harbor? Steep road down to the water? CUTE as a button? Between Bushmills and Giant's Causeway? Maybe. check www.northantrim.com/ballintoyharbor

 
At 3:32 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Lisa Ho said...

nope, I was wrong, it's between the Causeway and the Carrickarede

 

Post a Comment

<< Home