Thursday, October 26, 2006

Distance and priorities

One difference that is most certainly clear between Northern Ireland and America is the pace of life. I thought I would be working long and hard here, non-stop. When I am assigned to a group I do work long days (8am-midnight) but I also have a decent amount of time off between groups. During this time off I get to catch up on sleep, exercise, good cooking, and all the thinking I never had a chance to do during college when other people got to tell me what to think about.
One thing that I've considered is priorities. What's really important in life? When you meet with people who live in less than ideal conditions or have suffered great tragedies, it makes you realize how good you really do have it. And you realize that work and money take a far backseat to spending time with the people in your life. This shift in priorities is good, I think, but it can cause clashes with those who think otherwise.
---------------------------------------
Tonight I watched the entire 5th season of Sex and the City with three of the other volunteers. We snuggled up in the pit around the fireplace with a laptop on the hearth (no fire at the time) on tons of cushions with our duvets off our beds. We ate cheese toasties, drank hot chocolate and laughed til we nearly cried. These are the times that I will remember most and most fondly. :)

5 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, October 26, 2006, Blogger OWU Ireland 2007 said...

You sure do know how to make a gal miss a place real bad ;-). I can almost taste the toasties and hot chocolate.

I emailed David that we are not going to be at the center over the weekend now (May 25-27). Chad has alumni weekend, the weekend before we come so we had to shift our dates. Which means we need that weekend to be in Belfast. This was a tough decision, but I believe will work out great. We still have Tues-Friday at the center for educational value, and dropping the weekend will help our budget.

lho

 
At 3:19 PM, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, wonderful lady ... I got your IMs, and I PROMISE that I will be writing ...... I have too many excuses to list here, but they are just excuses ..... it will be exceptionally soon :-)

 
At 12:11 AM, November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOUR HABITAT HOUSE MISSES YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Corey

 
At 12:12 AM, November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS that whole "love, corey" thing is really anonymous... ;)

 
At 5:23 PM, December 02, 2006, Blogger robyn said...

Marian, did I tell you we still have your watermelon knife from this summer? It's being kept safe in our kitchen drawer. Brings back nice memories of yummy summer cookout food.

I had a dream last night that I was looking to buy a house in Ireland. It seems I'm getting a little excited about visiting next summer! Love seeing your pictures and reading about your experiences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home